Monday, April 27, 2015

Building a cocoon...

I actually thought to get a few work in progress shots on this piece, not many, but a few.  I started with a non-objective charcoal drawing on primed foamcore, which I sprayed with alcohol to give a wash effect.  When it dried I repeated the process with a brown watercolor crayon and got this underpainting:

abstract art black brown charcoal watercolor alcohol foamcore underpainting
Black and brown underpainting
The wash effects can provide an interesting value map to use as a jumping-off point to develop the work.  I must say I wasn't particularly excited about this one, so it sat for several weeks.

When I did decide to go back to it, I started blocking in some color in oil pastel.  Once I started playing with the oil pastels, I got "in the zone" so I didn't think to get photos of more steps in the process.  I chose the colors intuitively, building off the brown that had already been established in the underpainting.  I was digging the soothing earth tones and neutrals, jazzed up with just a hint of green and a very pale pink to compliment it.

Good stopping point to snap a photo

This seemed like a good stopping point to check how the values (lights and darks) were developing.  Squinting can help, but I just use my camera on the black and white setting.  Normally I would just view it through the camera screen, but for the sake of blogging I snapped a photo:

Value check
Not too bad!  Maybe just unify the lights in the lower left a bit...

Final values
Yep, that's it!  So here's the finished oil pastel:

"Cocoon" Oil pastel, 6" x 9"

  The finished work is a small, non-objective abstract piece in oil pastel on primed, acid-free foamcore.  While I wasn't so gung-ho to work on this one, I'm glad I came back to it; I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

This piece is matted to fit a standard 11" x 14" frame, and is available for purchase from my Etsy shop:

No comments:

Post a Comment